KALAMAZOO (WKZO) -- Nearly 1,600 runners and walkers competed in last year’s 2012 Kalamazoo Klassic with more than 150 volunteers filling almost 200 spots to create an outstanding race experience for the runners. This year will be no different with participant registration already trending ahead of last year’s numbers.
The tradition of the annual race started over 3-decades ago in 1979 when 650 runners sprinted off on a 10-kilometer course of what is now the oldest running event in Kalamazoo.
Twenty-five years later, on June 21, 2003, hundreds of runners celebrated a quarter century of success by gathering yet again for competition and personal pleasure on the top of Maple Street hill for another sounding of the Klassic gun. For more on the Kalamazoo Klassic tradition, check out their story here.
You can still participate in this year’s races, see below for more information.
35th Annual Kalamazoo Klassic
Events: 5K run; 10K run; 1K & 2K Kids Klassic; 5K walk; 5K pump and run
- Kids' Klassic 1K & 2K (6:00pm)
- Pump and Run Lifting (4:00pm – 7:30pm)
- Race Packet Pick-up (4:00pm – 7:30pm)
- 10k Run (7:30am)
- 5k Run & Walk (9:00am)
- 5k Pump n' Run (9:00am)
- Race Packet Pick-up (6:00am – 10 minutes before race start)
- Lifting for the Pump & Run goes from 4:00 – 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 14, at the YMCA.
- The 10K begins on Saturday, June 15, at 7:30 a.m. at the top of the hill on Maple Street.
- The 5K Run/Walk and the Pump & Run 5K begin on Saturday, June 15, at 9:00 a.m. at the top of the hill on Maple Street.
Walk-in registrations will be accepted on Friday, June 14, from 4:00-7:30 p.m. at the Maple St. YMCA or on Saturday, June 15, at the Maple St. Magnet School field starting at 6:00 a.m. (Pump & Run registrations will not be accepted on Saturday, June 15).
On Friday night, portions of Maple St., Hudson St. and Peeler will be closed. Please park on side streets or on Maple Street Hill West of the YMCA. Because Maple St. will be closed during Saturday’s event, we recommend that you do not park in the parking lots at Maple St. Magnet School unless you plan to stay until the 5K is finished. Parking is available on side streets, at the Girl Scout building on Crosstown Pkwy, or near WWMT.
More information: http://www.kalamazooklassic.com