JAMESTOWN, MI (WHTC) - A family farm in Jamestown Township was visited by firefighters from four local departments last night.
According to Ottawa County Sheriff’s Sergeant Matt Wildfong, the homeowners were away when a barn on the Bouma Farm complex off of Greenly Street caught fire around 8:30 PM. It appeared that the blaze started in an attached lean-to, and flames were about 10 feet high and spreading into the rafters before crews quickly brought the fire under control.
Tractors and equipment were saved, but some chickens inside were destroyed. The blaze may have been sparked by a heating lamp in the chicken coop, and investigators believe that it was accidental in nature. No firefighters were injured.