HOLLAND, MI (WHTC) - Fire alarms sounded at Holland’s Microtel Inn and Suites off of Hastings Avenue yesterday morning.
According to Public Safety Fire Operations Captain Chris Tinney, crews found smoke in the interior hallway on the first floor when they arrived just after 2 AM, with warning sounds blaring and the sprinkler system keeping the flames contained to a single unit. It took “minutes” for the blaze to be brought under control, with no injuries to residents or responders reported. Investigators say that combustible items too close to a candle triggered the fire, which was deemed accidental, and initially pegged estimated damage at approximately 11 thousand dollars. The three-story hotel remains open for business despite the incident.