FREE SOIL, MI (WHTC) - A 54-year-old Zeeland man is apparently the first fatality of the 2012 firearm deer hunting season in Michigan. Friends and family members confirmed that Rich DeBoer succumbed yesterday morning from apparent asphyxiation while he was sleeping in a van parked at the Manistee National Forest in Mason County. A propane heater inside of the vehicle was running when authorities found him, and it is believed that the fumes from the device likely caused his death. The incident remains under investigation.
WHTC's Morning News 5:00 AM - 9:30 AM
On Air Now.