From Hollywood.com Staff
Mia Wasikowska is close to locking in the role of Joanna in the highly anticipated The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire.
And although the 22-year-old Australian actress has starred in some big box office blockbusters like Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp, she's still not a household name. Who is this rising star? Some things to know:
1. She's a trained ballerina. Wasikowska started training when she was 8 and hoped to become a professional ballerina when she was younger. ""The last four years were very intense,"" she later said. ""I was training about 35 hours a week."" But she ultimately quit at 14 (for all of those Black Swan types of reasons).
2. She was almost The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Before Rooney Mara was named Lisbeth Salander in the David Fincher film, Wasikowska was one of the stars being considered for the role. But she declined to audition because of another commitment. It would have reunited her with Daniel Craig, who she starred with in 2008's Defiance.
3. She was a shy kid. ""It is funny I'm an actor now since I didn't like making a spectacle of myself,"" she's said. But when she decided to get into acting, she was determined to make it happen. She Googled to find an agent and says she hounded them.
4. She wants to be successful but doesn't want Twilight fame. ""If it was the Twilight level of fame, where you can't go for a walk, that would be really difficult I would not find it comfortable to be followed, or to feel like people were always aware of who you are, or had preconceived notions about you,"" she's said.
5. She's an avid (and good!) photographer. In fact, a picture she took of her Jane Eyre co-star Jamie Bell, and director Cary Fukunaga, was a finalist in an Australian photo competition.
[Photo Credit: David Edwards/Daily Celeb]
'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Goes 'Dark Knight Rises', Shoots in IMAX
Philip Seymour Hoffman Catches Role in 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire'
'Catching Fire' Adds 'Hunger Games' to the Title