CHESTER TWP., MI (WHTC) - A going-away party in the far northeast corner of Ottawa County on Saturday evening got out of control in a different sort of way.
According to Sheriff’s Sergeant John Wolffis, deputies and rescue crews were dispatched to a 32nd Avenue home near Hoover Street in Chester Township on a report of seven Ravenna High School students that were burned when they attempted to start a bonfire during a party for a family that was moving away. Gasoline was poured onto a brush pile and along a path to the driveway, where it was lit. An explosion then occurred, sending a fireball into the group near the pile.
One seriously burned teen was airlifted to Spectrum-Butterworth Hospital, while the others were taken by ambulance to that Grand Rapids facility for treatment. No names were disclosed as an investigation into the matter continues.