This coming Saturday here in Holland Michigan the wife and family of Zeeland native, the late Gunnery Sargeant Daniel J. Price, will be holding a 10 am funeral at Central Wesleyan Church on Saturday August 11th. Afterwards there will be a procession from the church to Pilgrim Home Cemetery for burial. So what could possibly mar such a wonderful memorial for a fallen soilder? A protest. A protest by a professed Christian organization. That organization is the Westboro baptist Church of Topeka Kansas.
That is the church that has become known for protesting at the funeral of fallen soilders. Why? Because of its belief that deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq are God's punishment for the United States' tolerance of homosexuality. Recently, they've experienced a slew of counter-protests, including a zombie-filled demonstration in Washington state and a human wall in Texas.
Folks in west Michigan are not willing to stand for this faux religious act and are making plans to create a human barrier around the procession to thwart the noisy efforst of the church to spread their message. There is a facebook link for those interested in supporting the barracade https://www.facebook.com/events/120083191471697/.
My only question for the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church are the following:
1) Are you lead by the Holy Spirit, or your own machinations?
2) Is this what Jesus would do?
3) How do you know that the military deaths are punishment for anything?
4) Are you helping or hindering Gods work on earth?
From their website here are some "numbers" they have compiled:
- 6567 - soldiers that God has killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- 48,600 - pickets conducted by WBC.
- 872 - cities that have been visited by WBC.
- 1102 - weeks that WBC has held daily pickets on the mean streets of doomed america.
- 126 - people whom God has cast into hell since you loaded this page.
- 218,400,000+ - gallons of oil that God poured in the Gulf.
- $15.92 trillion+ - national debt of doomed america.
- 8 - people that God saved in the flood.
- 16,000,000,000 - people that God killed in the flood.
- 144,000 - Jews that will be saved in these last days.
- 0 - nanoseconds of sleep that WBC members lose over your opinions and feeeeellllliiiiiings.